Coping with Exam Week

Hello lovely people, I hope you've all had an amazing week and had a lush weekend. So this week I've had exams and a whole lot of rowing training, I was just going to talk you through how I cope with the stresses of exam week and some of my top tips for getting through weeks like this. I hope you enjoy and please keep on reading.

So exam week is a stressful time for everyone, the thought of exams has always been a scary one no matter what level the exams are at. For me this week I had a total of 3 exams and they were all formative, which if you are still in school kind of means mocks. However this doesn't mean that I haven't put in many many hours of revision and worried about them like they were normal sumitive  exams.

Personally the night before a morning exam I don't do any revision and I just allow myself to chill out. However if its an afternoon exam then I will revise in the evening and next morning, for A-levels and GCSEs I never revised the night before for an exam however at uni there is so much content to cover that I can quite easily be revising all the way up to the exams. So that's tip number 1, for me this helps because it allows my mind to relax and means that I don't stress and overthink and also allows me to get a good nights sleep.

Which leads me nicely onto my next point. Sleep. This is vital to allow your brain to work well on the day of the exam. I'm not a very good sleeper normally but I do try to make sure that I get an earlyish night before an exam, and for me getting up early on the morning of the exam does help because it wakes me up and gives me a rush of happy endorphins which I love.

Eating right, this is also very important because if you are living off sugar and coffee then your brain won't be working as well as it could if you were eating a healthy balanced diet. During exam week yes my diet goes a little off the rails however I try to make sure that I'm eating fruit and veg with every meal and that I'm snacking in between to make sure that I'm always full of energy.

Preparing; I like to get my bag ready the night before the exam, so I put together my pencil case (making sure it contains everything I require), a water bottle, my ID card, headphones and my purse for going to get myself a treat after the exam is over. For me this helps because it means that just before the exam I can leave my room do a quick check and then head straight out knowing already that I have everything I require. 

Deal with a bad exam. So this week my exams didn't exactly go to plan out of the 3 I know that I passed 1 which I'm very happy with, however my other two were a bit here and there, I hope that they went ok but what I tell myself after a bad exam is that, the exam is over, I can't change my answers now, I can't change the result I'm going to get and therefore there is no need for me to panic and stress about how I did.

The thing to remember especially about mock or formative exams is that you can learn from them, they are there for you to go through the experience and understand how it's all done and how it all works. Yes I know that I stress for them, especially these ones because they all seemed very official and my course at university is very full on and I've not quite worked out what from lectures is important and can be drawn up on for exams. However even through I feel like I didn't do super well for these exams, I cannot wait for the feedback so that next time I can improve my revision and how I go about taking information from the lectures.

So there it is my few tips on how to get through the exam week, I hope you found them useful, for me this week I also threw myself back into rowing and ended up doing 10 training sessions which absolutely knackered me out, however it's back to lectures tomorrow so I'll have to cut my training back down to 8 sessions a week again and get back in the swing of super long days and very little rest. I hope you enjoyed reading this and I will see you back here next week for more. Remember to keep smiling because you never know, a simple smile to a stranger could make their day.

Comments

Popular Posts