Week 4 BVSc

Hello wonderful people I hope you have all had an amazing week. I for one know that it's been a VERY long week. Today as always I'm going to be telling you about my week, instead of the news section today I'm going to be relaying some fun facts I've learnt this week and finally I'll do my tips and learning objectives for next week.

My Week

So where to begin, I guess Monday is a good start. Thinking about it this week has been very heavily based on neurophysiology which has been very interesting. Monday started with some lectures on the nervous system which was very much just A-Level biology so that wasn't too hard though I did have to drag it up from the depths of my memory. We had a lecture called membranes of the nervous system but I cannot recall it for the life of me. I've probably made notes on it somewhere should probably look for them. So the lectures for Monday finished at 2 which was really nice then I went straight to get my lashes done. And let me say they are amazing I love getting my lashes done its the only little indulgence I have and it makes me feel slightly more put together when I go out without makeup on which is 90% of the time. After that I went to the library for I think 3 hours, I can't really remember Monday is a long way back to think. Oh yer I also went to the gym on Monday morning and did a good legs session.
Tuesday, I had my S & C session 7-8 so it was a lovely early get up for me but at least it wasn't pouring with rain like it was on Monday morning. the session was good, we aren't using heavy weights at the moment as we're just trying to get our technique perfect. Tuesdays lectures were quite easy first we had a fitness to practice one which was summed up by "turn up" and that the uni want to help you as much as they can. Then yet another neurophysiology lecture which was about action potentials this time. I then had a 4 hour break until my next lecture so I took an hour off to chill then I went to the library for 2:45 hrs which was good and let me get some notes done. Then it was onto our homeostasis practical which required exercise but lucky for me I had a girl in my group who was willing to be the sacrifice. After that I had the science bar crawl which didn't go too well to start with because the bar we were meant to go to was closed instead though we went to a place called Revolution which was amazing, wonderful espresso martinis which was lush, I also bought their revolution card which means that I can get 2-4-1 cocktails at any time which I'm very happy about. Planning on taking the family there.
Wednesday morning bot many people turned up to lectures surprisingly we had study skills first thing which was with a slightly annoying lecturer however some of the things she said where useful, I then had a 30 min break and then had a library tutorial on how to find things on the database which was super useful however I haven't quite grasped it yet so will still need some help with that. I then had 0 time to get back to halls get changed and eat my lunch on the way to the bus to get me up to coombe dingle for an erg session which was super good I felt really powerful by the end of the session it was very good. After that it was back to shower and yep you guessed it back to the library I didn't spend very long in there only like 2 hours which was quite nice I then came back and had a reasonably early night from what I can remember.
Thursday the long day, 8am bus which as ever was a delight, then we had into to evidence based veterinary medicine which was very interesting and I cant wait to see where they bring this in later in our course, we then proceeded to have two lectures one on the healthy dog and cat and the other on reproduction in those two species. And we finished up with the hoof for 1 hour ! these were all back to back lectures which are always difficult because you just don't move for 4 hours, I was then blessed with a 15 min lunch break after which I had to get the bus to Cannington where we actually had a really fun afternoon. We had teambuilding as a group and I got used as a human ladder to get people up a 10 ft wall which was fun... then we did pole dancing, well that's what I called it we were actually just standing on a balance beam but I ended up doing the cha cha slide on it somehow, we finished off with climbing before getting the bus back. And to think that wasn't even the end of my day I then had to get the bus back to coombe dingle and go straight into a group activity which was a lot of running with some rowing at the end. I hadn't eaten in 7 hours at this point so I was dying to say the least, then home for food and time for bed.
Friday I was up early for the gym again however it wasn't a tough session as I was feeling pretty dead apparently lifting people over your head makes your muscles ache, who knew! I then had lectures 9-1 back to back and I didn't move once I didn't stand up, go to the loo or do anything for those 4 hours. We did however have some very interesting lectures within those 4 hours which is where some of my fun facts are coming from. After the lectures on Friday I went back grabbed some food and went to the library 3-7 which actually killed me but I had to write up all my Langford lectures and try do the ones from Friday. ( I didn't get around to the Friday ones ) Oh I almost forgot when I got back to the flag we had a movie night and watched my most favouritest film ever Leap Year. If you haven't seen it please watch it, it's on Netflix.
Saturday another early start to go up to the downs to do circuits, before it had even started my feet were soaking which was fun and then after a long period of running we had to do exercises on the floor and I had decided to wear pink for of course I got mud all over me which was not so great. Upon my return to the flat I made pancakes and Emily came over and we enjoyed those, I educated her on Hamilton which I really hope she now listens to. Then you guessed it, LIBRARY time ! I spent 4 hours in there which felt a lot better than yesterday and I got all of my work done which was great. and since getting back from the library I've not been too productive which means another library session tomorrow but oh well I like it in there. I have bulk cooked some pasta sauce for next week though which should be good.

Fun Facts 

  1. the reason we have the saying "running around like a headless chicken" is because of a neural pathway that I learnt about this week, simply explained, when muscles become stretched an action potential makes its way to the CNS ( spinal cord ) and going through a myriad of synapses it sends out a load of action potentials on the efferent neurones which in one leg help balance the chicken and in the other leg return it to normal state, this movement doesn't require the brain which means that even after you decapitate a chicken it can still balance and "run" around. I thought this was really cool.
  2. We also got told about the dangerous dog act which at the moment has 4 dog breeds identified as dangerous however I really believe that it is the owner who makes a dog dangerous. I know some breeds are selected more by people who fight there dogs however that is for physical attributed not for their attitude, any dog can be trained to be violent and any dog can be trained to be loving and kind so therefore I really believe that this law should be re thought. I do realise that dogs are living being with their own personalities so they can lash out even if they are loving dogs 99% of the time, but this doesn't mean that the owner hasn't trained them right. I know there are many issues with changing this law however I really hope it is taken into consideration that something does have to be done about it. 
  3. This one is a bit graphic so if you are young please don't read this. When cats have sex, did you know its extremely painful for the queen ( female cat ) this is because the males penis is barbed. I mean personally I cant even fathom how painful that must be, OUCH! Secondly when dogs have sex a thing called a 'tie' happens, this is when the male dog is inside the female and her muscles in the reproductive system contract trapping the male inside her for 30 mins. Instead of staying mounted the male dismounts and the dogs walk around attached like a pully for 30 mins. 
My Tips 

So this week I've found things a bit tough, I went home last weekend and I did make it hard to come back, it was so nice to go home and see everyone especially Abbie and Jack. But this week I've missed Jack SOOOOOOOOO much, it's been like an ache in my stomach all week and I've been so busy that I just want to be able to finish my day and come home and hug him. I'm not going to see him for a month now which I think is the thing I'm finding hardest to get my head around I just miss him so damn much! any I just wanted to let you know yes I have down times but I always try and think of the positives and though I've felt quite alone this week I just had to keep telling myself others were feeling the same and that I wasn't the only one. On with my tips. 
  1. Try to keep active for me as you know if you've read any number of my posts I love to exercise its the one time where I concentrate on my body and only my body and not what I have to do when I get home. 
  2. Plan meals, this week I didn't have time to bulk cook and I found it very hard, so I cant urge you enough it saves a lot of money and means you can have really quick meals and not have to spend hours cooking or not cooking each night but at the same time each something healthy. 
  3. Beanies are the best, so I've found that I've been getting a bad neck from constantly looking down at a laptop screen or my note book so every night I've been going to bed with a microwavable beanie and it has helped sooooo much it makes me sleep better and does make most of my day pain free. 
Learning objectives 

  1. learn to cope without seeing jack better, I don't know how I'm going to do this but its got to get easier, right?
  2. plan time for myself 
  3. go swimming 
  4. find a better way of going over lectures and learning information because apparently writing out our lectures again means we're going to fail. 
  5. BE HAPPY 

So that is this weeks blog all done and dusted sorry if the week recap got a bit boring, I know I tern to just list, if you can think of a way I can make it more interesting please comment. If you managed to get to this point congratulations you've shown more dedication than I would have to this blog! I hope you all have a fantastic week, please remember as always to smile, when you're walking down the street smile at a stranger and you never know you might make their day. Thank you for reading maybe see you back next week. 



  

Comments

Popular Posts