Week 2 BVSc

Why hello people out there, I hope that you have all had an amazing week. I know I know I'm posting this a day late I sincerely apologise, I got a bit carried away in the library yesterday, I was just trying to get on top of everything which took slightly longer than originally planned but oh well I'm here now that's all that matters. Shall we commence with how my second week at uni went...

My Week 

Well this week was my first full week of lectures and I can safely say that I have survived however it was a very very long week with a lot of learning done and experiences had. We started off with a lovely 10am lecture on Monday which I was very happy about, anything but a 9am was what I wanted on the first proper day. On the first day I found the first 2 lectures the most useful however they did go rather quickly and I had to do some heavy reviewing of them later on in the week. The rest of our lectures of which there were 3, were all intros' into the different modules in the syllabus, and though they weren't overly useful as in we weren't learning anything we were getting a feel for our lectures and their styles of teaching. So that was the end of lectures for that day then I got back and headed off to the first rowing session in "learn to row" which went well once I'd managed to get there. Lets just say the bus driver for the bus me and my new friend Emily drove straight past us and waved which was very frustrating, so we were a bit late but we had a very good session. Oh I also forgot to mention that I went to the gym in the morning, which though it felt good at the time left me a tad sore for the erg session in the evening. And we also went to kaspas, wow I'm forgetting a lot about this week, so we went to kaspas to get a 2 for 1 deal and we ended up getting 2 free waffles because they messed up our order which lets just say we weren't sad about.
Tuesday was also a day for firsts, we had three very interesting lectures in the morning about cells and bones and cell units, then in the afternoon I had my first practical, which was rather long (3 hours) all on epithelial cells and how to use the light microscopes and the web microscope slides. We were also introduced to eBiolabs which are quizzes we have to do pre and post practical, now the pre one for this practical was nice and easy, however the post practical quiz was really tricky because none of the content of the questions had been at all covered in the practical which made the test some what difficult to complete. I also went to the gym on Tuesday afternoon after lectures but I forget how busy the gym gets so I only did a quick session then headed back to get changed then I went out to the vet bar crawl which was a lot of fun we all dressed up as animals and zoo keepers I went back at 11pm though because I had a 9am lecture the next day.
Wednesday I just had one practical which was a bones and terminology practical. Which again was 3 hours but it went by rather quickly because there were a lot of stations and we spend a bit of time on each one, the lab technicians/ post grads were so helpful and we also got to go into the animal barn where we got to stroke dogs and ponies which was super nice. the post eBiolabs for that practical was a really nice and I got high marks for it. I then had the afternoon off which was lovely, normally people would have sport then but I haven't sorted mine out yet so I went to the gym which was really good then I went to the library for a solid 3 hour library session, which was so useful I found the books that I needed so that was a bonus then I found the perfect place to work which was lovely and so quiet. That was the culmination of my Wednesday super exciting I know.
Thursday, what can I say about Thursday, well firstly I had to leave my halls at 7:30am ! to get a bus to Langford for a 9am lecture which believe me hurt a lot. I then spent 7 hours learning about health and safety 4 hours in lectures and 3 on a health and safety practical. I understand that it was all vital things we needed to learn however it just went on for a VERY long time. I met a really nice 4th year on the bus on the way back to Bristol who had a really cute dog, then as a flat squad we went out to Zaza bazars for a £5 all you can eat deal which though we had a few troubles getting the deal we thoroughly enjoyed I wore completely the wrong trousers ( rigid mum jeans ) but it was well worth it. Best £5 ever spent.
Friday was also a very good day we started off by having a practical on pH and buffers which was 3 hours long again which started off well however me and Fran my partner had a bit of a bumble on the last experiment and had to get some help which caused us to finish late then we had to run to our final lecture of the day which was a homeostasis overview which wasn't at all hard, all A level biology stuff. Then even though I had the afternoon off it was hella busy I went to Lidl which took 1:15 hrs then I realised I'd forgotten on of my files at the lectures theatre so I had to go back and get that, then me and the lads went to the gym for our weekly HIIT session which was amazing as always, I then got back and went to the library for 2 hours then got thrown out so went to the study room in halls instead. After that I came upstairs and went to bed.
Saturday I was up at 7:30 am to get ready to go to rowing which was from 10-2:30 pm, I went with Emily my rowing friend from Monday and it was a GB rowing thing which though we didn't go out on the water was so useful I learnt sooooo much about positioning and stroke and all the major joints of the rowing stroke. By the end of the day I felt so powerful on the rowing machine it was a great feeling. Then I came home and chilled for a  bit and went out for dinner with my god mother and my mum which was amazing and for anyone living in Bristol or anywhere in the world, I had the BEST ice-cream EVER it was in a shop called swoon and OMG I cant get over how good it was.
That has been my week so far exciting as always and last weekend I forgot to say my boyfriend Jack came up for his birthday and stayed the night which was really lovely.

Things I learnt this week 

This week I'm not going to do veterinary news because I just haven't had time to read it and right now whilst writing this I am soooooo tired.
  1. the best music to listen to for me while working is a 1:30 hr compilation of great movie soundtracks there is hardly any words in it and it allows me to think while at the same time listening to something. So would highly recommend for people who like to listen to something but get distracted by words and well known pop songs. 
  2. the library is an amazing place to study however it is a good idea to take an extra layer of clothes with you because after being sat down for a while you do get a bit cold. 
  3. in lectures I have learnt to take basic notes and also I have got into the habit of religiously scanning my notes onto an app on my phone called scribzee which allows you to file your notes and backs them up would highly recommend but its only completable with campus paper.
  4. I've learnt how to get around easier and I would recommend this to anyone living in a new city, just walk around and try to link the sections you know because creating a map that you know in your head is so helpful.
  5. I have become addicted to reminders and making to do lists, well I was all ready a long time addict of the second but I've started to use the reminders on my phone a lot more because it takes my mind off things and means I can chill and know I'm not going to forget anything.

Things to learn for next week

  1. learn how to use the textbooks more efficiently 
  2. learn to make proper packed lunches 
  3. learn to allow myself chill time

Well I think that's it for this week, looking back on my things to learn from last week, I haven't definitely worked out the best place to work ( biomed library ) and I've learnt how to take lecture notes, I've also started getting to grips with the cupboard and fridge rotation which is good however I haven't got the rowing sorted yet but don't worry I'm sorting that and planning to get up to senior squad in no time at all but I'll keep you updated. Remember to be happy and keep smiling, it is ok not to be ok and people are always there to listen, surround yourself with a great team and great things will happen. I hope you all have an amazing week and I'll see you all same time next week.    



Comments

Popular Posts