The Death of a Pet

Hi everyone, I realise that none of you will probably notice this but I'm posting a day late, very sorry for all those of you who waited yesterday refreshing the page every second unable to wait for my amazing post. If that wasn't you then hi there I hope you enjoy this, it's great to have you here with me and I encourage you to go read some of my other posts, if you don't like this one then thank you for trying and have a good week.

On with the show, so last week Friday 13th to be precise, I came home from work to see my beautiful dog Fizz running out of the house to see me, to give you a bit of detail my dog is 15 and a bit year old, she's doing so well for her age and I love her to bits. Anyway later that evening my mum called me down from my room because Fizz had gone outside and collapsed, my mum had guided her inside where she lay her down and tried to comfort her. At the point where I came down fizz couldn't stand up and we weren't sure if she could see anything. It was at this point my mum being a doctor said that fizz was more than likely having a stroke, this is when a blood clot forms in the brain and prevents blood circulating around the brain. Fizz then started to panic, we could tell that she couldn't see anything due to the nystagmus. This is when the eyes move side to side and is a tell tale sign of a stroke along with the inability to walk.

So what did we do next, well we realised that Fizz is an old dog, she's had an amazing life and all we could do was make her comfortable, she wouldn't eat anything so we just laid her down and my dad sat next to her most of the night, the worst parts were when she would wake up and realise that she couldn't see or stand and she would panic. If we noticed that she did want to stand up we would assist her but sometimes she would start howling and we'd have to lie her down again until she calmed down. This went on all night and to be honest I wasn't sure if when I woke up Fizz was still going to be with us.

However the next morning there she was curled up in her bed, not back to normal but alive so I was thankful for that. I had to rush off to rowing so my mum took Fizz to the vet where she had an anti-sickness jab because there was no doubt that she would be feeling terrible, then the vet agreed with my mum that Fizz had most likely had a mini stroke and that there may be something wrong with her kidneys. However because Fizz is such an old dog we don't want to have her on everyday medication so she only had the anti-sickness jab. When I got home from rowing, Fizz was walking around, whining as loud as ever and though I could tell she wasn't back to normal she was recovering.

A week later and you wouldn't be able to tell that she'd had a stroke a week ago, she's going on one walk a day, she's eating fine and drinking fine, she has even made her way up the stairs a few times to come say hello to me in my room. The reason this is possible is because the stroke she had will have been caused by a blood clot which got dislodged and allowed the blood to flow around the brain normally again, for Fizz this must have happened at some point in the night because the stroke didn't cause permanent damage, the part of the brain that didn't have a blood supply was able to regain full function when the blood returned which is great news. So the old girl lives on.

I know this is quite a happy story, however I know that some time soon something is going to happen and Fizz is not invincible. When she had the stroke initially I was sad but I then realised that I wasn't sad just shocked, there was no reason to be sad, my dog has lived an amazing life, I tell her I love her every second of the day and so long as she is comfortable then that's all I can do. This was the way I thought to myself during her episode. I thought that her demise would affect me much more but even though she didn't die it made me realise, yes it will be weird not having a dog in the house however I cant be sad, she is ancient and has had the best life, knowing that she's gone and is comfortable somewhere is all that I need to be happy. Learning the lessons of coping with a pet dying I feel is a very important lesson for children to learn. I understand that parents want to protect their kids however this is a great learning curve and it must happen because if a child learns to deal with this at a young age then it will help them as they grow up. This might make me a bad person but I have never once cried over one of my pets dying because I know that I have given them the best possible life and that wherever they are they are comfortable and not in pain which is a blessing to me and them.

So thank you everyone who stuck around for the whole of that, I know it got a bit depressing at the end, but hey remember Fizz lives ! again thank you for reading I will keep you updated on the university front though none of you care but hey it's nice for me to imagine that someone does. Hope you all have an amazing weekend wherever you are, be happy, count your blessings and I'll see you next week.

Comments

  1. Hey, really nice story. Learning how to cope with the death of a pet or even a family member is indeed important and what's better is it doesn't have to be on our own. We could always help or support someone who is grieving, may it be someone from the family, a friend, or even just someone. When the first ever pet that I had passed away, I was very sad and lonely. But I was very fortunate to have a family, and friends that supports me very much. We had him at pet cremation houston and we kept his ashes near his favorite spot in our house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts