Rebellion !!

Hello wonderful people of the internet, how are you all doing? I hope the answer to that is very well thank you, Sam. I'm glad your 2018 has got off to a great start, unfortunately mine hasn't, due to an unfortunate car accident and the horse shelter for the house I was house sitting flipping upside down but oh well there is nothing I can do to change what's happened I can only look ahead to make the rest of 2018 amazing. Some good news is I've had three days off work so I've been revising away trying to get as much done as possible, I've also book a ski holiday for my best friend and I at the end of January which should be amazing I absolutely cannot wait!

So that's enough about me, I hope all of your new years resolutions are still going to plan and you are thankful everyday for the life you get to live. On with the show; so this week a veterinary matter made the Horse & Hound, with the heading of "Homeopathic vets march over 'attack on freedom'". Now I found this heading rather surprising because normally there are few quarrels within the RCVS however this matter has all come about due to a statement made by the RCVS about complimentary and alternative medicines (CAM). Last year the RCVS released statement on the 16th November 2017. It reads that vets are expected to offer treatments that are "underpinned by a recognised evidence base or sound scientific principals" it goes on to say " Veterinary surgeons should not make unproven claims about any treatments, including prophylactic treatments, Homeopathy exists without a recognised body of evidence for its use. Furthermore, it is not based on sound scientific principals. In order to protect animal welfare, we regard such treatments as being complimentary rather than alternative to treatments for which there is a recognised evidence base or which are based in sound scientific principals." the British Association of Homeopathic Veterinary Surgeons (BAHVS) is demanding that the RCVS retract this statement as they say it's a "de facto ban". The BAHVS has gone on to say that they feel the RCVS have undermined members of the college and that this ban has been imposed without consultation to the vets or clients. I do agree with the fact that this "ban" will decrease the vets freedom to suggest treatments to clients. Some have said that this directly targets homeopathic vets who solely offer these treatments to whom it may damage their livelihood.

This statement has prompted petitions to be started in May 2016 a petition was started to ban vets from using homeopathic treatments this got 3,000 signatures. However the current petition to reverse the RCVS statement is at 13,000 signatures. The vets, owners and people who support this latest petition and homeopathy are planning on marching through London in 3 days time on the 15th January 2018 and to go to the RCVS headquarters to deliver this petition to try and get the statement removed. Who knows whether it will work, I think that even if it doesn't change there certainly needs to be talks between the two opposing parties to clear things up and make sure that misunderstandings like this do not happen again.

Thank you everyone for reading I hope it wasn't too long and boring. I also hope that you have a lovely week a I can't wait to see you here next week. Remember stay happy, smile and be kind even if we all only do one of them we've made the world a better place.   

Comments

Popular Posts