Switching off.

Hello everyone, so as promised I am doing a post today because when I'm in Canada which I leave for tomorrow I won't be able to post anything. So this morning while trying to be productive I listened to about 2 hours worth of veterinary news podcasts. Some were very interesting and some not quite so but still all sparked an interest.
So in todays blog I'm going to write a little about the few podcasts I listened to and add in some of my own thought as always.

Here we go, so one of the first podcasts I listened to today was about puppy farms and how many people in the UK and all over the world are being mislead by breeders. Sadly this is easier to do now as these "fake breeders" are becoming cleverer and are able to trick people into buying their dogs more easily than in the past. Some of the stories that came in during this show were horrid to hear, people bringing their dogs home after having been to the breeders house and seeing the bitch, only to have their puppies put down a few days later. This happened in about three of the stories that came in on the show. The professionals on the show said that if this ever happens to you make sure to call the RSPCA in your area, the RSPCA will collect these calls and if they receive enough calls about one breeder then they will be able to act, which will help stop these puppies being sold and bred in those conditions. Also they were saying that when you decide to buy a dog you have to remember that this is a long term commitment both financially and socially. This dog may be with you for 15 years. So when deciding make sure you research and select the right breed for you, if you go for a less well known breed then it is less likely to be bred at these puppy farms. Once you've decided on the breed next is to find a breeder. When doing this you can visit the kennel club certified breeders list, this is a list of all the registered breeders on kennel club breeds, so not the cross breeds as much, however these breeders are inspected every year to meet the regulations needed for puppy breeding. secondly you can ask your vet they will know local breeders of dogs. When you find a breeder you will often have to wait around 4 months for the litter then another 8 weeks, firstly you will normally have to visit the breeder and if the breeder cares about his/her dogs then they will question you because they want to make sure that you are going to be good owners of their puppies. so though this may feel like an interrogation really it is a good sign if the breeder asks you no questions I would have a red flag going up in my head. A lady who lives across the road from me who owns an Italian spinone actually had the breeder visit her house to make sure where she lived was fit for the puppy. A few things to be careful of some of these breeders who import the puppies will rent a house and set it up to look like their house and sell the puppies from there, also if the puppies are very small it often means they are less than 8 weeks which is very young to buy them, and finally these breeders are sometimes selling the puppies with fake vaccine cards and unregistered microchips. Why would anyone do this and be so inhumane? you ask well the podcast stated that some of these breeders are making around £30,000-£40,000 a week! and in the UK the maximum jail time is 6 months so really to them its just the risk of the job. I think that this time should be much longer to put people off for life, they said on the show that one group of people had been prosecuted 5 times! in which case the sentence they are getting is not putting them off and their sentence needs to be changed to deter them for life. so that's the end of that bit sorry it went on for slightly longer than planned.

The next podcast I listened to was the year preview with the president of the BVA Gudrun Ravetz. This woman filled me with confidence, well she made me worry a bit less, she started by saying that when she did her A-levels she missed her grades but was still accepted which gives me a little bit of hope for my results day in less than a month. Moving on her main point for the year was Family both within the practice and at home, which is what my title today is linked to. She was saying how if vets work in a good work space that is very group and communication orientated then the individuals will be better vets for it, she also said how having a good home life is important, now I've mentioned this before in my blogs and at the moment I have to admit I'm struggling with a bit of anxiety, knowing that I worked as hard as I could all year to maybe not get the grades to get into uni is very scary, however going back to the podcast, I believe strongly that having a good home environment where you can switch off and not worry about the days work is very important, if you would like to read more on this I have done a few posts so feel free to look back through my archives for them. At the moment I'm finding that doing exercise every day is helping me switch off, but always got to be careful last time I fell into that habit I went too far and got peritonitis, so always got to be careful. Along with this main theme Gudrun also mentioned how Brexit is a main focus and animal wellbeing and welfare, notably pre slaughter well being, which is an important matter, I don't know much about it having only spent 1 day at an abattoir, but I feel it is important to get right and for vets to aim to improve this year.

So thank you everyone who has managed to get to the end of that I know it was a long one sorry I got a bit carried away, remember always give yourself time to switch off and if like me you find that hard then make it your goal to find the thing that allows you to switch off. That's all from me I hope you enjoyed this, I will be back in two and a half weeks from my travels wish me luck and I hope all of your summers are amazing. Thank you for reading.        

Comments

Popular Posts