Microchips

Hello this weeks blog is going to be a bit short as the topic I want to write about isn't extensive but I hope anyone who actually reads this likes it.

So this week I saw in the news that it's been around a year since compulsory microchips were bought in for dog owners. Now let me say first I think that is an amazing idea , I remember at one of my work placements that I did, we were able to reunite a dog with its owner as it had a microchip and the joy and relief in the owners reaction were nice to watch.

So where has this new legislation got us, well a recent study found that 44% of vets couldn't reunite a stray dog with its owner as the data on the universal database was incorrect. So the message I want to put across is that you need to keep this information up to data. This information is what is going to allow the vet or whoever scans your dogs microchip to contact you and return your dog to you, and I understand first hand how terrible it feels when you don't know where your dog is. I understand that many people will just forget to change this information for example if you move house the last thing you are going to be thinking is 'I need to change the address on the microchip information website', or if your contact number changes, which is probably more important as it allows people to get in contact with you if your dog is lost.

I think that this new legislation is really good and  hope that it will pay off in the future and less dogs will have to be put into shelters or pounds when they are lost and don't have a chip, hopefully at some point in the near future this won't happen at all and all dogs registered will be able to be identified and returned saving charities and shelters money and time. I know that this may never be the case as some people may not register their dogs with a vet so may never be reminded of the legislation, however hopefully it can become the norm for people o microchip their dogs.

Thank you for reading I know its short but what more is there I can write about this topic? probably tonnes but this is all I'm going to write today.

Comments

Popular Posts