Pet Ownership Saving the NSH Billions

So this week I was looking through the veterinary times news page and I was pleasantly surprised to see an article about how companion animal ownership could save the NHS billions each year, now this is what I did my EPQ on and what I would love to go into maybe after university. Trying the implement these savings doing charity work.

As soon as I had read the article I sent the link to my mum who is a doctor as I knew that she had a few case studies that prove these statements to be true. Well I personally am so happy that this article was published because it is always what I have believed to be true. That owning a companion animal can help you physical, mentally and socially. Which can therefore be linked to saving money for the NHS. If you would like to read my EPQ I posted it in a blog link last year which is entitled "My EPQ", also at the end of this blog I will put a link in, to the article which I am talking about.

My Mum gave me a very interesting case study about this topic. She has a patient who have personality disorder and a mild learning disorder, now in the past this patient had been digressing, despite having owned a budgerigar and a cat. Now I know that both of these are some what companion animals however, nothing can match the companionship and bond that an owner shares with their dog, at least that's what I believe. so this patient then bought a dog; since then the patient has become more social and goes out of the house more, the ownership of a dog has also helped them overcome, problems related to their personality disorder. So now when they go in and see my mum, it's like the person it totally transformed, their quality of life is better and their mental wellbeing has improved. I know that this isn't the only case that my mum could have given me, however it is the one that she has seen the most visible change in the person for.
Within my village there was a man who never went out much, he was very private and slightly overweight. Anyway since getting a dog about 3 years ago now, he is a changed man. He has lost weight due to all the walking to try and exercise his energetic dog, he is so much more sociable, I often see him in our local pub talking to people about his dog and saying hi to everyone. Personally even though I don't really know the man I can say that this dog has only changed his life for the better, and I'm so happy he found the dog and changed his life.

Now for the statistics, the Companion Animal Economics – The Economic Impact of Companion Animals in the UK, published by the Centre for Agriculture and Biosciences International (CABI), they looked into the indirect affect of companion animals on society ( economically ) and on the people both mentally and physically. From what they found the could conclude that, each year the NHS spent £10 million each year treating bites and other injuries. However the report estimated that companion animal pet ownership could reduce the cost of the health service by £2.45 billion/ year. they finished by saying that this should be looked into further and it should be backed by the Government.

I believe that this is a step in the right direction for this field of study, it's very important considering the fact that most of todays society is based on money and £2.45 billion is quite a lot. I've always know that companion have a profound affect on people helping us in so many ways, if only we could utilise this and make a campaign for it.

here is the link to the article;
https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/report-companion-animal-ownership-may-cut-nhs-costs/?utm_source=Vetsonline+Newsletters&utm_campaign=6e1d35619a-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fe3d844056-6e1d35619a-82492893
 

Comments

Popular Posts