Lambing

Hello lovely people I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and that you all managed to spend time with your friends and family. Apologies for being so MIA recently I've been doing lambing which is 12 hour days 7-7 and along with that trying to do at least some revision and get to the gym. So writing my blog definitely went onto the back burner. I'm just going to include some tips about lambing for any vet students out there and then maybe how my revision worked out because I did try to prep it all before I left uni.

So lambing was an experience to say the least, I had such amazing people to work with, the farmer was so understanding and I was so worried beforehand that I would be thrown in at the deep end but it really wasn't like that. I got given options of when I wanted to give something a go and it was so amazing. Some interesting cases we had were a sheep that gave birth but had No udder like absolutely nothing, now this just shouldn't happen and I can't work out why it did happen. Another one was a sheep that got listeria, that was interesting because I found her lying in a dip unable to sit up so I thought maybe that she had damaged something internally being on her back too long, after trying treatment, she didn't get better and so the sheep was put to sleep. The final interesting case was a strange one. A sheep with no anus! now this was a grown sheep that had just given birth to twins, now she could defecate so it was just very interesting to try and work out what had gone wrong in development to cause this issue. So those are 3 very interesting cases, there were many more and when I get back to uni I'm going to try find out about those cases.

My revision, so this has been hard, I was aiming to do 2 hours of revision a day. I was doing this by revising in my lunch break and on coffee break and then when I got home revising for 1;30 hrs a night or at least aiming to. I do really think it helped the fact that I had pre-planned all of my revision however I think I could have done it better and made myself a more detailed plan for the times when I was going to revise. Veterinary is such a tricky subject to revise for I've found because it is so broad and the sheer volume of what they teach you is vast and the fact that you need to know it all in enough detail so that if they ask you an obscure question you'll be able to pull the information from you mind easily and answer the question. Well I find that difficult because I mentally can't hold that much information in my head and I can know everything to that much detail so I've had to be semi selective and make sure that I don't get too caught up on things. Here's to hoping that the exams go okay in the summer.

Some tips for any future lambers out there:

  1. Don't wear your boiler suit, just wear waterproofs. 
  2. Take loads of snacks 
  3. Be prepared to make tea and coffee
  4. Take wrapped sweets they are a lifesaver
  5. Food makes everyone happier
  6. If you want to revise take flashcards
  7. Don't be afraid to ask questions
  8. Always ask for help if in doubt
  9. At the same time be confident 
  10. Make notes of interesting cases and try find out about them. 
there are just a few of my tips, good luck to you if you are going lambing in the future. 

And that's me signing off, I hope you all enjoyed reading this and I hope to see you back here soon, hopefully by next week I'll be back to my normal weekly upload, thank you so much for reading and don't forget to smile because you never know it could make someones day. 

Comments

Popular Posts