Management

Hello lovely people, I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas surrounded by loved. I unfortunately was working the whole way though the Christmas period so the time I got to spend with my family I really cherished.

Working over the Christmas period at the pub really brought to light the importance of managerial staff in the workplace. First thing I have to say is that I like working at the pub however I feel that some things can be improved. I am in no means saying I could be a good manager or owner of a pub however I think that a few things could be changed about the pub to make the working environment slightly kinder to work in. I know that this isn't wholly veterinary related however I believe that these issues can translate into any workplace environment and are all important factors of the workspace.

Number 1: Taking Suggestions.
I believe that every manager or owner should have meetings and take suggestions from the staff, in a veterinary practice this would be good to talk about any issues or client problems or mental health worries which as I've said before is so important. Having managers that listen and change things makes the people you work with feel appreciated and like a part of the team and workplace as a whole. Having things change and improve in the workplace is always important to keep progressing and to keep the staff who are working there happy.

Number 2: Respect
I think that in a workplace environment there should be respect. Now respect is something that has to be earnt however what I am saying is that everyone deserves a fair chance in how you form your opinion of them. I have always been of the opinion that you can never judge a person on word of mouth you have to meet them to see what they are actually like and how thy behave around you to be able to judge them fairly. Respect is a fine balance because, you want people to respect you as a manager but you don't want to seem above them and a way to make sure it stays like that is to always muck in and offer to help do simple jobs and be there if they need help are respect them because without them the staff the practice or workplace wouldn't be able to function.

Number 3: Follow the Rules
Following the rules is something I've always tried to do, simple because I have a bad guilty conscience and I hate being old off. I think that in a workplace everyone should follow the same rules, no one person is special so whether it be the manager or the newest member of staff everyone needs to follow the same set of rules, this will help with respect and also can be edited depending on suggestions. Not following the rules that you lay out for the staff can mean that they start to break the rules or that they start to lose respect for you.

Number 4: Gratitude
Showing gratitude means the world, yes the staff are happy that you employ them and that you pay them however every once in a while it is important to show them that you appreciate them. This can be done in many ways, just a small token of gratitude a note or chocolates in the office or biscuits even better some cake. These small things just make the difference, just taking the time to show that you care is so important in a workplace asking about peoples lives and keeping up to date with any major events happening in their lives.

Thank you for reading I know it wasn't the most interesting blog however with very little free time I thought that it was important to write due to some recent experiences and the fact that I was thinking that one day I could own a business or run a practice. I hope you all have a fantastic New Year the next time I post will be 2018!! this year has gone so fast I hope you have enjoyed reading the blogs this year and I can't wait for what next year has in store.

Comments

  1. Go Sam BLOGS are going to be good in 2018! Well done for all your hard work in 2017 !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts