HABIT behavioral analysis

Sorry I haven't posted in a while I've been on holiday with no WiFi. 

Today I was reading the vet times and something interesting caught my attention. As anyone who reads this may guess I'm interested in the human animal bond. I know that this requires a firm understanding of animal behaviour. So today when reading the vet times I saw an article about make horses heard. Through a programme called HABIT which stands for Horse Automated Behavioural Identification Tool. Now I read into this and watched a video and it was really interesting. This software that has been produced has been developed by Dr North of Nottingham university. With help from many different professions in computing interactions and animal behaviour. Dr North has a computing background however he has also worked with horses which is why he decided to aim this initial soft on horses.

What the software aims to do is analyse a video of a horse and pick up weather it's behaviour is natural or unnatural and also take in the environment around the horse. This software will then be able to tell how the horse is feeling. Having many professionals work on this has help it become a revolutionary concept that could majorly help the categorising or horses behaviour from any video taken if the horse. This technology will help the field of horse behaviour because at the moment to categorise a horses behaviour takes a lot of time and viewing of the horse in long videos or viewings. This new thec could do the same job in very little time and hopefully give accurate results. 

Personally I think this break through is amazing I believe that it will really help understand how a horse is feeling. One of my questions is though isn't every horse different so how can one video confirm. How a horse is feeling won't they all have different types of reactions? This technology could really help in the horse rider bond which is vital for the sport not only that but it could help for wild horses to check that their quality of life is up to standard and that they are not in pain. 

So that's just my overview of this topic if you want to read more about it look at the vet times 01/08/16 issue. Next week u have work experience so I will be posting about my time there and all the cases I see. 

Comments

Popular Posts