What makes a vet and what is a vet?

Yay exams are finally over which means I can now start thinking about next year and applying to university. I know the summer will go by very quickly so I'm going to start writing my personal statement now. One thing I want to put in is my understanding of the veterinary profession. I have already written about the different aspects of veterinary so now I want to talk about what makes and vet and what they do. 

Having done a lot of work experience I have gained so much. One of the greatest things I have learnt from these experiences is what makes a vet a vet. So I'm going to run through some of the things I think make a vet and go into so detail on the ones I think are important. 

A vet is:
• an animal lover. 
• a doctor of animals 
• a lifesaver 
• a carer 
• a pain reliever 
• a good communicator- by this I mean that they can talk to the owners and work with them to help their pets. They can communicate within their team of staff so that everyone's ideas are heard and everyone is in an understanding. They can share their ideas and offer their knowledge to other people. But most importantly they can speak to the owners and console them and explain things. 
• an advisor- helps change our laws and what we feed our pets helps our pets health and wellbeing. 
• empathetic- they can give the owners support and help when necessary and they can conduct themselves in a way by which they always remain professional. 
• a teacher- they are here to inform us the owners about what is best for our pets for this is their main goal in life. 
• a hard worker- it goes without saying just to make it into vet school is hard work and to get though university is no easy task. So every vet you meet will be hard working and dedicated to what they do. 
• a problem solver- they can think on the spot when it's vital they can make sure they ask the right questions in their mission to help and aid your pets wellbeing.
• finally a motivator- they are there to motivate us the students and the next generation of veterinarians to work hard and become everything and more that makes them a vet. 

I know that that is just a fraction of the qualities that make up a vet but having observed a lot of practice these are the things that stick out to me. 

Comments

Popular Posts