My beautiful dog


Sorry I haven't posted in a while I was skiing last week. Trying to think about what I could write about when I thought why don't I just talk about my dog and her problems she's facing at the moment.
Diagnosis
I first noticed my dog (fizz) had something wrong with her when I was going to stroke her one morning. It's always hard to tell when she's hurt because she can manage to hide anything. Well I looked down at her paw and the toe on the edge was very inflamed and red all around the nail bed. It looked very sore and infected. At this point my mum booked a vet appointment after taking pictures of fizz's toe. 


so these were the pictures we got of her toe.
Treatment 
After the vet appointment fizz was given some antibiotics about a weeks worth. Now I'm sure everyone has experienced this but my dog seems to manage to avoid even the smallest pill in her food so I have developed many techniques to make her eat them she seems to like milk, and her new favourite is bovril. Now the first lot of antibiotics looked like they did the trick however less than a week later the infection returned. So we bathed her foot in an Epsom salt bath for 5 mins twice a day to make sure it stayed clean and put her foot in a sock so she couldn't lick it. She was also given another round of antibiotics a stronger strength for longer time. This was the point that scared me because the vet said she could have osteomyelitis this could result in fizz having her toe taken off and at the age of 14 years old surgery is never totally safe. So the whole family prayed that it wasn't that. The reason the vet thought that it could have been osteomyelitis is because it looked as if the infection had followed the nail root down to where it meets the bone where the infection can spread into the bone. Luckily on the new antibiotic she has greatly improved. Her paw in now pretty much healed the fur hasn't grown back yet but she does have a new pad of skin over it and it is looking so much better.
As you can see it is so much better and hopefully this is the end if her toe infection.

Comments

Popular Posts