Puppy farms




This week I really wasn't sure what to write about. So I searched current veterinary problems online and from the titles that came up, the one that jumped at me was puppy farming.
Now I am no expert on this and these are just my views from what I have read and seen. 
Firstly the fact that puppy farms still exist is worrying. These dogs are bred again and again and again. Many with birth defects due to inbreeding and other things. I understand that we will never be able to get rid of puppy farms altogether but I feel that there should be stronger law enforcement. 
In a recent article by the veterinary times it was said that 235,000 dogs are registered to the KC every year but this is only thought to account for 30% of all puppies bred.(1) the RSPCA say that this is down to the push for designer dogs like the French bulldog and pug. This I feel is fine but the fact that these dogs come from bad breeding or inbreeding isn't good, I would say that if you were ever to buy a dog ask and check that the breeder is registered on the KC database. And ask to see the parents and offspring from another litter if possible.
This matter I'm about to talk about may disagree with some people but it is only my opinion. I feel that dogs like the pug, British bull dog,German Shepherd and cavalier king Charles spaniel, some are born with a bad future ahead of them because within their breed there are defects in their genetic material for example, a German Shepherd that is bred for showing will have a lower back end and normally weak hips due to a breed defect, which will cause the dog significant pain and suffering in later life and sometimes earlier than that. I feel for the pug and British bull dog as well because they commonly have breathing problems due to their soft pallet being too long for their mouth causing it to be difficult for them to breath most of their life. And KKCS are known to have weak hearts which means they die young and take a lot of medication in later life. Now I am not saying that every dog of these dreads have these problems, I'm only saying that these are the problems the breeds are known for. I'm sure there are problems with every breed however I feel that these genetic defect are unfair to the dogs.
These are only my opinions expressed here so please no one take too much offense. 

(1)http://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/designer-breed-demand-pushes-puppy-farming/  

Comments

Popular Posts